How to be a good Grid'5000 citizen ?
This document is a work in progress, by David Margery.
The Grid'5000 platform is intended to support research in all areas of computer science related to grid computing. It is not intended to support research projects that need computing ressources.
It is a shared tool, used by many people with different and varying needs.
The main objective of the administrators is to make the tool available to experiments involving a significant number of nodes (in the 1000's). To make this possible, reservation fragmentation must be avoided as much as possible as using a complete cluster in only one site can prevent reservations with a significant number of nodes.
A second objective is to keep the platform available for the development of experiments during the day. Therefore, reservations using all the nodes available on one site during work hours (in France) should be avoided.
Platform availability is still greatly dependant on the administrators solving day to day issues. Therefore, the third objective is to allow for experiments to run while administrators are available.
The last objective is to use the machines as much as possible, as long as this usage doesn't interfere with the first three objectives.
Good usage rules (All users)
- Tuesday is the only day where you should feel authorized to use all the machines of a cluster during work hours. On the other days, please leave a few for people developping or preparing an experiment.
- If your reservation lasts more than 14h, you are probably not working on a Grid Experiment. Please find another cluster for your jobs or make sure your user repport is up to date and explains why you need long reservation
- You should probably not have more than 2 reservations in advance
Good usage rules (Local users)
Some sites have openned accounts on a local branch of ldap. Users on these branches only have access to the local cluster. In addition to the above rules, they should
- Not have more than one reservation in advance
- Not use more than 640 hours (10h on 64 machines for example) of machine time in one reservation
- Have their status (account) reevaluated once they have used 6400 hours of machine time.