IaaS on Grid'5000 Workshop - 2012
To be held in Rennes, April 23rd 2012.
Call for participation
Dear all, It is my pleasure to invite Grid'5000 users to a half day workshop in Rennes on April 23rd, 2012, followed by an optional 2 days coding camp for all Grid'5000 users working on the deployment of open source Iaas stacks (OpenNebula, Nimbus, OpenStack, ..). During the coding camp on the following days, participants will be able to start collaborating on consolidating their tools. It is expected that people participating in the coding camp are allowed to contribute to a common code-base in a Cecill-B license (the one available to the Grid'5000 technical team to share code with users). The dates of this event are April 23rd - April 25th, and the event would be held in Rennes. Details will follow on  The workshop part will have people present what they their scripts achieve and how they work, and be concluded by identifying collaboration opportunities. The coding camp on the following days would have people start collaborating. Interested participants should register with David Margery by mail, with a talk title and a brief description on their current work to deploy IaaS stacks on Grid'5000. This description should include the stacks they deploy, the number of physical nodes aggregated in the deployment and typical deployment time. We expect to be able to host all proposers, and will draft a schedule on April 6th 2012. Should we be overwhelmed by registrations, we will discuss options with proposers (extend the workshop to Tuesday morning - organize a selection) Regards, David Margery  http://www.cecill.info/  https://www.grid5000.fr/mediawiki/index.php/IaaS_on_Grid%275000_Workshop_-_2012
Meeting to be held in Lipari Room at Inria - Rennes 13h30 -14h : welcome 14h- 17h30 : presentations on current work
April 24th - April 25th
9h - 18h : Coding camp
Please register to David Margery as room planned has limited capacity. I will upload candidates to this page as I receive mails.
- Deploying a gLite infrastructure: workflows to the rescue
- by Tomasz Buchert
- gLite (http://glite.cern.ch) is the grid middleware used on the EGI production grid. The deployment of a gLite infrastructure shares many of the issues encountered when deploying IaaS clouds. As a result of our work on automatizing the deployment of gLite, we are able to successfully deploy its infrastructure inside Grid'5000 using multiple sites and clusters. The deployment time varies: from 20 minutes for a basic deployment (10 nodes), up to 3 hours (597 nodes, 6 sites, 10 clusters). In this presentation, we will describe our current work on reimplementing our Ruby script using a workflow engine. It will allow for improved provisioning of the deployment, simplified searching for bottlenecks, measuring real-time consumption of resources, improved failure policy and maintainability of our solution.
- Deploying an OpenStack cloud on Grid'5000
- By Sebastien Badia
- OpenStack  is an IaaS cloud computing project by Rackspace Cloud and NASA. In their current state, the scripts scripts allow the user to deploy the "Diablo" version on an ubuntu 11.10 image. The deployment is done inside a kavlan-local VLAN, and we deploy the nova, glance and volumes services (and swift is planned).
- Scaling has not been evaluated yet, but a run with a cloud controller and 99 computes nodes was achieved. Time to deploy this infrastructure was approximately 8 min (not including Ubuntu deployment).